Mr. Shantanu Gudsoorkar
Mr.Shantanu GudsoorkarMBBS, MS, FRCS, FRCOphthConsultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Mr. Gudsoorkar is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon specialising in small incision cataract surgery with premium lens implants , retinal disorders and uveitis. This is reflected in his practice based at Musgrove Park Hospital and Nuffield Hospital, Taunton.
Whilst training in Wales, Mr. Gudsoorkar worked in large tertiary referral eye centres at Cardiff and Swansea. Following further two years of subspecialty fellowship training in Medical Retina and Uveitis at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff and Bristol Eye Hospital, he was appointed as a consultant in Taunton.
Mr. Gudsoorkar provides patient focused cataract surgery for their specific visual needs and has completed more than 3000 surgeries. He performs sutureless cataract surgery with options of premium intraocular lens implants. These include Toric lenses to correct astigmatism and Multifocal lenses allowing patients to become spectacle independent after cataract surgery.
Mr. Gudsoorkar also performs refractive lens exchange for patients over the age of 50. Use of multifocal lenses in this procedure can correct both near and intermediate sight, in addition to the distance vision.
He specialises in the management of medical retinal disorders including age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular disorders. He has extensive experience of using pattern and micropulse /subliminal lasers, intravitreal therapies (anti VEGFand steroids).
Mr. Gudsoorkar set up and leads the Uveitis service in Taunton. He is the only consultant in Somerset offering intravitreal steroids , oral immunosuppression and biologic treatment for patients with complex ocular inflammations. This unique combination of medicaland surgical expertise makes him well placed to perform cataract surgery in these patients needing consultant led care.
- University of Health Sciences, Hyderabad, India - MD
- Member of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London - MRCOphth
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London - FRCOphth
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow - FRCS
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow
- Member of European Society of Retinal Specialists
- Member of European Society of cataract and refractive surgeons
- International Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology
- British Medical Association
- Medical Defence Union
- Cataract Surgery with Premium Intraocular Lens implants
- Toric lenses, Multifocal lens implant
- Refractive Lens exchange
- Cataract Surgery in Diabetics and Ocular inflammation
- Diabetic Retinopathy & Retinal Vascular diseases
- Intravitreal therapies (Anti VEGF - Eylea, Lucentis, Avastin)
- Intravitreal Steroids (IIuvien)
- Retinal Laser (Pattern and Micropulse/Subliminal laser)
- Uveitis and Oral Immunosuppression
- YAG capsulotomy
- YAG iridotomy
- Retinal laser for retinal tears
- Retinal Laser for diabetic retinopathy
- Micropulse laser for Diabetic Macular oedema & Central Serous retinopathy
- Removal of lid lesions /Cysts
- Sutureless Cataract Surgery
- Premium Lens Implants (Toric and Multifocal Lens implants)
- Cataract surgery in Retinal diseases
- Cataract Surgery in Ocular inflammation
- Medical Retinal Diseases
- Diabetic retinopathy and Diabetic macular oedema
- Retinal vascular disorders
- Retinal Vein Occlusions and Cystoid macular oedema
- Age related macular degeneration
- Central serous retinopathy
- Retinal Laser therapy
- Intravitreal AntiVEGF injections (Eylea, Lucentis & Avastin)
- Intravitreal Steroid injections (Ozurdex and Iluvien)
- Uveitis and Ocular inflammatory diseases
- Systemic Immunosuppression and Intravitreal therapies
- General Ophthalmic problems (Dry Eye, Lid cysts, Blepharitis, Glaucoma)
He also manages general ophthalmic problems including eyelid
cysts, glaucoma, watery eyes and performs laser procedures including YAG capsulotomy and iridotomy.
Having moved from Wales, Mr. Gudsoorkar and his family enjoy the sunny Somerset and are keen cricket fans. He also enjoys trekking and badminton.
English, Hindi, Urdu, Marathi and Telugu.
Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital
Staplegrove Elm Showell Park
Taunton TA2 6AN, UK
Musgrove Park Hospital : Parkside Private Patient Unit
17 Parkfield Dr
Taunton TA1 5LB, UK